Tuesday 15 November 2011

Photographic Shoot 5 - Barcode



For this photographic shoot I got the idea from a quote I uploaded earlier in my blog. ‘Consumerism plays a great part in magazines. The reader is constantly being told to buy products which are supposed to make them look better. Products are no longer sold for their uses, for example it promises to make you beautiful (Anon, 2009).’  I decided to explore the idea of how women are conforming to become a ‘product’, because some are all looking for the same end result, ‘beauty’.  In the background of the photograph I made a collage of women in magazines that I had found to symbolise that she is trying to conform to what she sees. The barcode on the back of the girl’s neck symbolises that some women just want to look the same, in order to find what is seen as the ‘perfect’ appearance.  I decided to use a barcode on the back of her neck because every individual barcode relates to one product (the same product).  Is the media a way of manufacturing women into one 'beautiful' product? 


Julian Jan Photography


I like this photograph by Julijan Jan because the man or woman has no identity because of the paper bag on their face.  I think it relates to the photographic shoot I have done above because the women is losing her identity because she has become a ‘product’.  It can be said that one’s identity may be blurred or disappear because one may try to conform to what they see in the media as ‘beautiful’.  

No comments:

Post a Comment