Wednesday 30 November 2011

Cindy Sherman Photogrpahy




Cindy Sherman’s photography focuses on stereotyping of women in films, television and magazines.  Cindy’s photographs are self portraits which she directs herself and photographs, even though she does not feel that they are.  She said this in an interview with The New York Times newspaper, ‘I feel I'm anonymous in my work. When I look at the pictures, I never see myself; they aren't self-portraits. Sometimes I disappear.’ (Sherman).  Cindy Sherman’s photographs focus on female identity, sexual politics and power.  She explores stereotypes of women shown in films.  The photograph above of the women who looks pregnant is from the series ‘Untitled (Cosmo Cover Girl)'.  The photograph has a strong impact on its audience because it can be said that it is an unconventional ‘cover girl’ cover, that one would not necessarily see these days in magazines and can be seen as a powerful statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment